Paint the Park 2022 is the inaugural plein air event for oil, acrylic, watercolor and pastel painters held at Valdese Lakeside Park, a 300-acre forested preserve in Valdese, North Carolina. Up to 35 painters will create their artwork from September 10th through September 15th. They will submit one entry from their week of work for judging on September 16th. Artwork will be reviewed on September 17th by a judge selected by the Rock Arts School Foundation Board of Directors. An awards ceremony and public reception will be held on September 17th, featuring live music by Stone’s Throw, hors d’oeuvres, and Peach Bellinis. Tickets for additional guests are available for purchase. The event is hosted by Rock School Arts Foundation, the Town of Valdese Tourism Office and Friends of the Valdese Rec.
Websites of Host Organizations:
June 1st: Artist registration opens and ends when 35 artists have registered, but no later than August 15th September 10th – September 15th: Artists’ painting days - On your own schedule!
September 16th: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Old Rock School Artists submit one piece of work for judging, clearly marked with name, medium and price
September 17th: Morning Judging of artwork
September 17th: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Old Rock School Wet sale, reception, and award ceremony
September 17th: 7:30 p.m. Removal of remaining artwork
For invited guests and the public: Participating artists and one guest are included in the $25 registration fee. Artists are welcome to extend invitations to family and friends to join them during the painting days and/or the reception and awards ceremony. There is no admission fee to Valdese Lakeside Park. Tickets for the September 17th reception and awards ceremony are available for purchase on this site at $25 each.
Awards: Awards for selected artwork include $950 in cash prizes $300 in gift basket value and an exhibition in the Rock School Arts Foundation gallery. All participating artists can select one of their masterpieces to be entered to win one of these prizes:
• First prize - $500 plus an exhibition in the RSAF gallery during 2024
• Second prize - $250 plus a gift basket
• Third prize - $125 plus a gift basket
• People’s choice - $75 plus gift basket
1. The piece I submit for judging will feature a subject painted at Valdese Lakeside Park or McGalliard Falls Park during the dates of the event: September 10th – September 15th (daylight hours only).
2. The piece I submit for judging will be painted in oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache or pastel.
3. Artist will display name, medium(s) title and pricing information on my artwork for judging.
4. Artist will submit my artwork for judging between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to the Rock Arts School Foundation.
5. Artist will pay my $25 registration fee with this registration form.
6. Artist agrees to the waiver and release of liability:
I will abide by all park and facility rules and regulations. Failure to do so may result in suspension from the facility and event without refund/credit. I agree and represent on behalf of myself and my invited guests that use of all facilities shall be undertaken at each participant’s own risk. I release from liability Friends of the Valdese Rec, Rock School Arts Foundation, and the Town of Valdese for any claims, demands, injuries, damages, actions or causes of action during my participation, or that of my invited friends or family, in connection with the Paint the Park event. I release Rock School Arts Foundation for any damages due to faulty framing or handing devices on my artwork.
7. Artist agrees that Rock School Arts Foundation has the right to determine display location for the exhibit and has the right to reject a painting for any reason.
8. Artist agrees to permit the use of photographs of themselves and invited guests taken during the event to be used in physical and electronic media, as long as any images of my artwork are not of sufficient resolution to be reproduced.